Services > Commercial Leasing
Maximize Your Investment
With millions of square footage of leasing under our belts, our experience on both sides of the leasing table provides a competitive advantage that helps you get the most out of your commercial real estate.
We understand how time kills deals, so we provide legal counsel in the context of your broader business interests, distilling complex issues and tailoring the final agreement to your specific needs in a quick and efficient way. We seamlessly handle the entire spectrum of leasing, from high-volume leasing, to smaller tenants, to the large ultra-complicated transactions that often turn on the negotiators’ ability to think outside the box.
- For Landlords: We look at every lease in the context of your overall business strategy. Our focus is on maximizing your profits and protecting against risks that would impair your ability to operate, finance and sell your properties in the future.
- For Tenants: We start with your business needs and draw upon our combined insight into the landlord’s mindset and our vast market knowledge of lease structures and prevailing industry terms to get you the best deal possible based on your circumstances and the amount of leverage you have.
Office and Industrial Leases. On their face, office and industrial property leases can seem straightforward, but business terms missed at the front end of negotiations can create problems and may result in significant unanticipated costs down the road. Build-outs, pass-through expenses, essential services, indemnities and assignment rights all carry with them legal ramifications that must be considered in the context of your business needs. Even minor issues can have costly implications if not addressed clearly and early.
There are thousands of issues that can be negotiated in a lease document. We are familiar with all of them and, depending on the circumstances of your specific needs, we can suggest compromises that can be employed to keep the deal moving along.
We consider, negotiate and document the details so that you can focus on the big picture issues related to running your business. Because of the sheer volume of leases that we have handled, we can spot issues early and make sure your interests are protected — without slowing you down.
Retail Leases. Retail property leasing is a highly-specialized area in which the outcome of negotiations can directly impact the success of your business. Because real estate is an integral part of your business strategy, your lawyers must bring more to the transaction than just knowledge of the transactional terms and conditions.
Our expertise in the retail market comes from handling thousands of shopping center sales, purchases and financings, and millions of square feet of retail leases. Through this experience, we have represented and opposed practically every type of retailer, from the “majors” and big box stores to groceries, restaurants, theaters and more.
Learn more about our integrated commercial real estate services.
- Business and real estate negotiations
- Ownership interests
- Dissolution of business entities
- Breaches of contract and business torts
- Workouts and foreclosure of distressed property
- Landlord/tenant lease disputes
- Construction disputes
- Easements and other real property interests
- Land use decisions by public entities
- Employment agreements and issues
- Insurance claims
- Holders of personal guarantees
- Unlawful Detainers
- Pre-purchase/leasing due diligence
- California Planning, Zoning and Subdivision Law/obtaining entitlements from local jurisdictions and other agencies
- Rezoning and variances
- Master and general plan adoptions and amendments
- Zoning or building code enforcement actions
- Environmental enforcement actions by agencies regulating water quality, air quality, hazardous substances, and other resources
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance
- Impact fees, exactions and other conditions of development approvals
- Historic landmark designation and preservation
- Condemnation of property rights by public agencies
- Defense of administrative and judicial challenges to development approvals