Joe von Meier
Email [email protected]
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School,
Moot Court Executive Board, Vice President – Evans
- B.B.A., Business Administration, University of Michigan
Joe knows all aspects of the development process, from entity formation and financing to leasing and disposition. His expertise extends to the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts and architecture/engineering agreements on behalf of both owners and general contractors.
In addition to his extensive work in development and construction, he represents investors, landlords, tenants, and owner/operators in an array of commercial real estate disciplines.
“Applying my broad experience in all aspects of the real estate life cycle, I understand my clients’ business objectives and aim to provide reasoned, succinct and practical legal advice every step of the way.”
Joe launched his career at Chicago-based Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella PC where he worked for nearly 15 years and rose to Partner. During his tenure with Burke, Warren, he served as in-house counsel for a prominent Chicago-based development and construction company as well as an award-winning, national student housing developer, where he oversaw financing, construction, and operations‑related matters.
Representing clients nationwide, he concentrates his practice on a broad spectrum of high-profile, complex real estate transactions with a focus on student housing, multi‑family, luxury residential and retail development and construction.
Recent achievements include:
- Purchase and Development of a modern 79-unit residential condominium project in Chicago’s hot West Loop neighborhood.
- Purchase and development of Transit‑Oriented Developments featuring retail and multi-family elements along Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago’s Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods.
- Execution of a retail lease in a multi-use building located in the West Loop for Jean Banchet Award nominated restaurant helmed by former Top-Chef™ contestant.
- Development of a forty unit, loft‑style, adaptive reuse condominium project in Chicago’s River North neighborhood.
- Purchase and development of an eleven unit, high‑end townhome project within a Planned Unit Development in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
- Retail build-out of award-winning Chicago and suburban restaurants Momotaro, Smylie Bros. Brewery, Girl & the Goat, GT Fish & Oyster, Tortoise Club, Brindille, and Native Foods as well as retail build-outs of the Oak Street location of Hermes of Paris, the Rush Street location of Oliver Peoples, and the Bucktown locations of Scotch & Soda, Diptyque, and Steven Alan.
- Development of award‑winning, student housing projects in Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, and Wisconsin.
- Sale of fully-stabilized student housing developments to a national real estate investment management firm.
Professional & Community Involvement
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- “Rising Stars,” Chicago Super Lawyers (2009-2012)