Bringing a deep knowledge of real estate and the law together in a client’s best interest is Bob Bell’s strong suit. Highly regarded and well known in the commercial real estate sector, he has more than 40 years of experience that spans the spectrum of real estate development, investment, construction and brokerage matters including multifamily, urban infill, mixed-use, hospitality, industrial, retail, office, and land transactions. Bob also knows the ins and outs of both public and private companies, enabling him to assist clients with all aspects of their real estate operations.
“My clients know I am a ‘deal-maker’ not a ‘deal-breaker.’ I am proud of my ability to generate creative and collaborative ways for parties to successfully reach agreement on complex real estate transactions in a timely manner that is consistent with their business objectives.”
Bob has represented some of the nation’s most successful homebuilders and commercial developers and has a track record of understanding and negotiating real estate acquisition and disposition contracts, joint ventures, leases, development agreements, construction documentation, and finance arrangements.
In addition, he has an expertise in real estate brokerage-related issues including, licensing and operations. Bob is a licensed California real estate broker and acted as the outside general counsel for the San Diego Association of Realtors for over 25 years. He is a founding member of the California Association of Realtors’ Legal Affairs Committee (now known as the Legal Affairs Forum).
Bob began his legal career in 1976 with San Diego’s then largest and oldest law firm, Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps. He served as its Managing Partner from 2004 to 2009. He continued with Luce Forward through a merger with a national firm and then an international firm before electing to move his real estate practice to CGS3.
- He represents Navarra Properties in development and sale of six acres of in-fill property in a portion of Downtown San Diego’s Upper East Village known as “Makers Quarter.” Plans call for a mixed-use project incorporating multi-family housing, retail, commercial, hospitality, arts and educational uses. This has included representing the client in multiple projects involving joint ventures, ground leases, sales, and exchanges.
- He has represented national homebuilders including Shea Homes, KB Home, Pulte Homes, and California Pacific Homes in numerous acquisition and development transactions throughout California.
- He has represented LNR Property Corporation in the development of the 232-acre Spectrum in San Diego which included corporate build-to-suits for Northrup Gruman, the San Diego County Water Authority, and Jack in the Box. It also involved direct sales including to ResMed, National University, Sharp HealthCare, California Coast Credit Union, Courtyard Marriott Hotel, Frito-Lay, and other developers for the construction of some 2,311 residential housing units.
Professional & Community Involvement
- San Diego County Bar Association
- California Association of Realtors, Legal Affairs Forum
- NAIOP, San Diego Chapter
- San Diego County Apartment Association, Past President
- San Diego Fair Housing Council, Past President
- San Diego Housing Trust Fund, Past Trustee
- Lambda Alpha International Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, Member
- Policy Advisory Board for Commercial Real Estate, Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate at the University of San Diego, Member
- San Diego County Regional Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors (2004-2011)
- “Lawyer of the Year – San Diego,” Construction Law, Best Lawyers (US News & World Report) (2018)
- “Best Lawyers in America – San Diego,” Law, Best Lawyers (US News & World Report) (2008-2018)
- San Diego Super Lawyers, Real Estate: Business (2007-2018)
- “Lawyer of the Year – San Diego,” Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers (US News & World Report) (2010)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating